About PBE editorial content
Powder and Bulk Engineering publishes two types of feature articles — technical
articles and application articles (including case histories and others). For detailed
information about each type of article, see the guidelines called “Technical articles”
and “Application articles.” For examples, see any PBE issue or click on “Recent
Articles” on PBE’s Web site (www.powderbulk.com).
Even if your company isn’t the subject of a feature article, it can be featured
in other sections of the magazine. PBE publishes association, industry, and
company news as well as equipment information. The information below summarizes
PBE’s regular areas of editorial coverage.
About Powder and Bulk Engineering
Powder and Bulk Engineering is the only monthly technical publication edited
exclusively for readers in the North American powder and bulk solids market.
Our readers are hands-on engineers and managers who evaluate, select, and design
systems for handling, processing, and storing materials in powder and bulk solid
form. The majority of our readers identify themselves as process and production
engineers, design and construction engineers, operations managers, research and
development specialists, and plant managers. These technical decision-makers need
practical information they can use in the daily operation of their business.
PBE readers are involved in the manufacture of a broad range of powder and
bulk solid materials, including industrial and agricultural chemicals, pharmaceuticals,
food products, plastics and rubber, lime and cement, explosives and ammunition,
primary metals, pigments and coatings, stone, clay, glass, ceramics, pulp and paper,
If your news or product item includes photos, please follow these guidelines:
- Submit good-quality photos in either color or black and white. You can send glossy
prints, slides or transparencies, or digital files on a CD-ROM or Zip disk or by
- Digital photos must be at least 300 dpi at a 3.5-inch width. (Cover submissions
must be at least 8.5 by 11 inches.)
- Preferred formats are eps and tiff.
- Photocopies, prints from inkjet printers, and half-tone prints and negatives aren’t
- If you send high-res photos by e-mail, please send each photo in a separate e-mail.
- Include a press release providing detailed information about each photo.
- Don’t write captions directly on the front or back of photos. Type captions separately
and masking-tape them to the back.
- If you mail your photos, protect them by putting them between cardboard sheets.
Don’t use paper clips or staples.
For an editorial calendar that shows each issue’s focus, special features, and editorial
deadlines, contact the Editor or
If you’d like your article considered for a particular issue, contact the Editor
several months before the issue is to appear. Generally, the articles for an issue
are selected about 4 to 5 months before the issue date.
Many factors influence what photo is chosen for the cover. Here are some of the
- Subject matter is appropriate for the issue's focus (see editorial calendar).
- Photo depicts equipment installed in a customer’s facility, preferably shown in
- Material being handled is clearly in view.
- Close-ups, action photos (material spouting out of a feeder, for example), and interesting
shots of the process are of special interest.
- Photo is in a suitable format (see guidelines above).
- Ideally, the photo has areas near the top and bottom where type can be placed without
covering up essential parts of the picture.
- Photo is vertically oriented.
- Photo has sharp details, good composition and exposure, and strong aesthetic qualities
(pleasing to the eye).
Another factor that affects cover selection is the number and quality of photos
we receive as candidates for an issue’s cover. For some issues we receive many,
for others, few. The editors, in cooperation with the production department and
the publisher, select the final photo.
Consider shooting a number of different shots, from different angles and distances.
Then send us two or three very different ones. One of these might turn out to be
one we can’t resist.
Association, industry, and company news
PBE publishes various kinds of news sections in every issue. Please send
us your association or company news in any of the areas listed below. Include contact
information and, where appropriate, photos:
- Supplier notes: If you’re an equipment
supplier or association, here’s where to announce moves, area code changes, ISO
certification, awards, and other news of interest to dry bulk solids handlers.
- Industry news: News about nonequipment
suppliers and associations in the dry bulk solids handling and related industries.
Tell us your news that would be of interest to others in our industry.
- Markets update: News about materials
and business — price changes, forecasts, and so on.
- People news: Equipment
supplier and association personnel who’ve received promotions, changed companies,
received awards, and so on. We’re interested in news about people who will come
into direct contact with our readers as well as top-level executives.
- Calendar: Upcoming events sponsored by
your organization — trade shows, seminars, and special events of interest to the
dry bulk solids handling industry.
- Continuing education: Short or long courses
that will help dry bulk solids handlers know their business better. Please state
whether the course can be taken for continuing education credit.
- Self-study: Courses that can be taken
independently. These include programmed instruction manuals or software or courses
that can be taken via mail or the Internet, for example.
- Call for papers: If you’re seeking papers
for publication or presentation, request them here.
- Research notes: News about research in
this industry, particularly research that shows promise of improving ways of handling
dry bulk solids.
Product and literature writeups
In every issue, PBE publishes several sections of product and literature
reviews. To be considered for these sections, send information about and a photo
of the product or the product literature. Check the editorial calendar to see the
editorial focus and special topics for each issue.
Some of the following appear in every issue:
- Resource catalogs: Photo of and information
about brochures, CD-ROMs, catalogs, and other published information you’re offering
free to readers, describing equipment related to the issue’s focus.
- Product summary: Photo
of and information about equipment related to the issue’s focus.
- Engineering literature: Photo of and
information about brochures, CD-ROMs, catalogs, and other published information
you’re offering free to readers, relating to a particular process, not the issue’s
- What’s new: Photo of and information
about a new piece of equipment for the bulk solids handling industry, not related
to the issue’s focus; the equipment must never have been advertised in PBE.
- Product news: Photo of and information
about equipment for the dry bulk solids handling industry, not related to the issue’s
PBE relies on professionals like you to keep our readers informed about the
latest and best technology and equipment in our industry. Thank you for considering
PBE for placement of your association, company, and product news.
Send news and product information to:
Kayla Carrigan, Associate Editor
Powder and Bulk Engineering • 1155 Northland Drive • St. Paul, MN 55120
+1 651-287-5630 • fax +1 651-287-5650 • email@example.com